Friday, December 31, 2010

Sibling Love

One of my very favorite things is to watch my kids play together. Molly has always loved playing with Stockton but, lately, he has loved playing with her as well! They'll sneak off together and play for pretty long chunks of time. Most often they go into one of their rooms, close the door, and do who knows what. I check on them every few minutes to make sure all is well and then enjoy the time I have to get things done.Stockton seems to be growing up so fast...probably because he follows his sister around and tries to do everything she does. He is her little shadow. He has started to say her name-it sounds a lot like "Mama" but just different enough for me to tell the difference. Molly doesn't seem to mind her shadow too much; if she starts to get annoyed she just says she needs some quiet time and then she goes in her room, shuts the door, and plays. She is very mature about it all. She is also growing up so fast.From the day we brought Stockton home, Molly has been patient and kind to her brother. Occasionally she gets frustrated when he gets in the way, but for the most part she has learned to either share with him or redirect him to something else. I watched the following interaction last week:
Molly was trying to play with some new Christmas toy, but Stocky kept getting in the way and knocking it over. Molly said "Stocky, please don't" over and over in a very nice voice. Finally she just said, "Okay, fine, Stocky, let's do this instead" and both of them went and played with something else.
Molly is also very proud of everything that he learns. I've never seen her be jealous if he's getting more attention from us. She gets just as excited if he learns something new and is right there cheering him on. We think he is very lucky to have such a nice sister.I am so happy to see them becoming such great friends. I am also relieved that they play so well together since I will have my hands full in just a couple of months with Baby #3. I've completely lost track of how many weeks I am by this point, but my due date is March 14th, which seems to be approaching extremely fast. We've also known for a couple of months now that we are having a little girl, which we couldn't be more excited about.

Life is going to get crazy soon!!!

7 comments:

Megan said...

Umm yeah. Can I have Molly for a day?! ;) She is a swell sister indeed. Anna loves to play with Evan but definitely looses her patience quite easily as well. But I agree - my favorite thing is when they play together...and enjoy it :)

jax said...

Oh my goodness! Congratulations!!
That is SO impressive how Molly responds to Stockton just by patiently repeating "please don't" and incredibly impressive that she redirects his attention when that doesn't work! Dang. I could learn a thing or two from her patience!

Congratulations again on your pregnancy! How are you feeling?

The Childs said...

What?!? Did I miss the post where you announced your pregnancy? I wondered if you were. That is so exciting. Three is challenging, but so much fun. Congrats on another girl! And I think Molly is so good because she has a great example to follow, YOU!

Karla said...

Yeah for the new baby! That will be fun to get a new Spring baby girl. You have such cute kids and they are both so sweet. Molly is so kind and smart (just like her mom). I love the picture of them on the couch posing. Hope you had a good holiday. Love ya!

Yardley Crew said...

You're having another baby too?! Awesome! Congrats!

Hayley Nelson Potter said...

That is so exciting! Congratulations. Two little girls...lucky. I want another girl for Sydney. The picture with them dressed up looks straight from a magazine. I am excited to see what this one looks like. GOod luck.

Rachelle said...

This post almost had me crying... not sure why. I think just that they remind me so much of Lizzy and Andrew a few years ago. Plus it is just so adorable. Home is such a good place to practice all of those kindnesses that we want our kids to learn. You must be a super mom to be raising such sweet kids.