Saturday, November 19, 2011

Mom School

Molly missed going to Kindergarten this year by 15 days. Darn-she is so ready! But that means I get one more year with her at home and she'll always be the oldest in her class, which seems nice. After two years of doing the joy school thing, most of us moms were pretty burnt out so we decided not to do that. We considered enrolling her for preschool and then decided that it really wasn't necessary, for her at least. Enter "Mom School." We have school on Monday and Wednesday, preferably when the others are napping. Molly seems to look forward to it. We don't have too much of a schedule but there are 5 things we always do.

1. Workbooks. We do three pages.
2. Reading/Writing. She has to be able to recognize sight words as well as be able to spell them without looking at them.
3. Calendar. Just learning the months and days of the week.
4. Memorizing. We are working on Articles of Faith right now.

5. Piano. She's using some old books that I used. They are working well but I think I need to find some that are geared toward younger kids. I took a video but she was too nervous and couldn't remember what she was doing. I'll have to post one when she gets a little more confident.

We realize that she is missing out on some things...particularly the social aspect of preschool. But we're not too concerned. She is great at making new friends and she is a confident little girl. It might be a bit of a stretch going from no school to 5 days a week but she adjusts quickly and we know she'll love it once she finally makes it there!!

2 comments:

Nathan and Shanna said...

I think she'll like be the oldest instead of the youngest. I was one of the youngest and although I made it just fine I think it would have been cool to be the oldest. She is adorable.

Megan said...

I was so ready to send ANna this year too. SHe may be three months too late, but she is also so ready. I ended up signin her up for the early reading class at the Literacy Center. It's free, she loves it and I totally just call it 'preschool'. lol. Preschool is so expensive. YOu are such a good mom to do it yourself! I knew Anna and I would be much better off if we were seperated for her learning ;)