Monday, August 30, 2010

Our Getaway

Allow me to brag a bit about my husband and his job. The last two contests that his division has had, his branch has placed first. They were treated to dinner (Brick Oven Pizza) and a movie for one. Not only did his branch place first, but individually Justin took first as well. And in the last credit-union wide contest, his branch placed in the top 10, which is a big deal because he's a small grocery store branch, not a big brick-and-mortar branch. He's doing great and I'm very proud.

Okay, I'm done. Now to the fun stuff. For placing first he won a stay at the Anniversary Inn and tickets to Hale Theater. Um, I was a little excited. My mom took the kids for 3 days and 2 nights. I had never left Stockton for more than a few hours...in fact, I'm the only person who had even laid him down for bed OR naps (Justin has maybe 5 times total-it's just easier if I do it). I was a little nervous for how he would do, but my mom said he did okay. He woke up early (sorry, Mom!) and started figuring out how to get out of a nap by the last day but it was smooth sailing the rest of the time. Molly had a great time, playing with cousins all day long, going to the duck pond, watching movies, and having lots of Grandma and Grandpa time.

Justin and I had plenty of fun as well. We left the kids Monday morning and immediately headed to Park City. Justin's not much of a shopper but he's always up for a trip to the outlets. Probably because he always finds tons of good deals. This trip was no exception...

We had our Hale Theater tickets that night. We saw Pirates of Penzance, which was great. I've seen lots of shows there and have loved every one so I knew it would be great.

The next morning we woke up and went golfing. I told him in the spring that I'd go once with him this summer and it seemed like a good time. Unfortunately, I am a horrible golfer...I'm sure he never wants to take me again. We'll have to find a different hobby that we can do together.

After some lunch we went to see "Inception" at the theater. I was completely lost for the first half hour and then kind of figured out what was going on. I got the general idea of the movie but I think I'd need to watch it at least five times to really get it. The parts I understood were excellent though.

We ate dinner at the Red Iguana. It's a top-rated restaurant in Salt Lake. It was very tasty, although I'm more of a El Matador kind of girl.

That night was our stay at the Anniversary Inn. We stayed in the Romeo and Juliet suite. Very nice. We could have stayed in this room, but that would be a bit weird, I think. There was complimentary cheesecake and a king-sized bed. Enough said.

We slept in-I can't usually sleep in too late but the very dark, heavy curtains made it look like the middle of the night at nine in the morning. After getting ready we thought we'd do a session at the Salt Lake Temple. We barely missed the 11:00 session so after finding out the next session wouldn't be for another hour we drove to Bountiful and did a session there.

And then we headed home. It was a very nice getaway for me. Is it bad to admit that although I missed the kids, I didn't miss them enough at the point to actually pick them up? I could have used another day...

6 comments:

jax said...

Not bad of you at all! Sounds like (much needed) fun!

Troy and Mandy said...

Congrats to Justin...that's great! Sounds like you guys had a great get-away weekend...especially since it was free :) I've never been to Anniversary Inn...we definitely want to stay there sometime. That's great you golfed with Justin at least once...Troy goes golfing all the time too and always wants me to go. He got me a set of my own clubs for my birthday a few years ago and I've probably only gone a total of three times, LOL. It's fun...but I'm horrible at it!

Megan said...

Now that is how you vacay! Shopping, a sweet room with cheesecake, a play - and for free! AWESOME. I have to laugh that they even have a Twilight themed room. I mean come on, seriously? Inception was an awesome movie. I had to play very close attention to get it all, but it is definitely one you can see again!

Nathan and Shanna said...

What a much needed get a way! That is really awesome. My brother told me that Inception was one of the best movies ever. I guess I'll have to give it a try! I'm so glad that you blog so that at least I can get to know this side of the family a little better!

The Childs said...

It is always good to get away. Even if you do miss your kids enough to get home to them, it is always hard to get back to reality!

Rachelle said...

Here's a golden Yippee for Justin. YIPPPPEEEEE!! Good job. What a fun time.