Saturday, October 2, 2010

The end of summer posting

Since summer is officially over, I guess I will finish up the rest of our summer...mid-July through August was much slower and relaxed for us, although we still managed to fill it up with some pretty fun things.

Another month and another trip to the zoo. We went with the Goodrich cousins this time. It was hot but the zoo is always a hit with the kids. The highlights on this trip were the elephants (always a highlight, but this time the trainer was working with the animals and had the mother elephant fill up her trunk with water and squirt it right at Molly, Tiana, Stockton, and I) and the bird show (Molly got to give a dollar to a bird).
All the kids enjoyed playing in the water, but the babies especially enjoyed it.We signed Molly up for swim lessons this summer. When I signed her up in March or April, she was scared of water getting in her eyes in the tub, so I was hoping that swim lessons would help her get over that. Well, something clicked this summer and she wasn't scared at all. She was by far the bravest kid in her class...the teacher would say "Okay, everyone look at Molly and watch how she does it." She was very proud of herself.Having swim lessons every morning for two weeks was exhausting-I was so relieved when it was over!

My mom took us to the Children's Gardens at Thanksgiving Point. I didn't even know it was there...there was a splash pad with a big Noah's ark, a small maze in the hegdes, a bear cave, a lighthouse, and a sand box, along with few other places to explore. Not to mention the beautiful flowers. It wasn't super crowded, which makes me wonder if it's not well known.
Justin went fishing/canoeing with Eric to the Green River. The only pictures I have on our camera are of Eric. Apparently, Eric took pictures of Justin and Justin of Eric but they never switched. Go figure. The kids and I had two nights to ourselves...I really can't remember what we did so it must have not been too exciting.

We had our Jeep in the shop three times this summer. We finally got tired of pouring all our money into an old car with tons of miles so we decided it was time for a switch. We found a good deal on this 2005 Honda Pilot and have been very happy with it so far.
We were able to attend little Jake's sealing to his family in the Mt. Timpanogas Temple. What a special day!

The next day we drove to Plain City to celebrate my Grandma's 85th birthday. I think everyone was there except for two grandkids...not bad. My grandma has had a rough go this summer and fall. A stroke and two heart attacks have scared all of us, but she is one tough cookie and has far exceeded what the doctors told us. She is definitely not strong, but she is still going. I feel grateful that I lived down the street from her all my life, and am feeling bad that I don't see her as much now and that my kids aren't getting to know her as much as I would like. She is a funny lady who will always tell you exactly what she's thinking.

Justin worked three Saturday's in a row in August. Bleh. I had to take the kids to my soccer games (hard) and we tried to stay busy the rest of the day. I talked my neighbor into going to the Utah County Fair with me one night. It's in Spanish Fork and free, so why not? It's not the greatest of fairs, but it has animals and I had leftover carnival tickets so Molly got to do a ride or two. Molly had also earned some money (from my mom, I think) so she got to pick out a treat. I was thinking a scone or something sounded yummy; she chose cotton candy, of course.

As we were walking out a couple came up to me and said that they had just had their engagement pictures taken and can they please give their balloons to my daughter? I thought they were just going to give her one, but they tied all dozen to her little arm. Her face lit up...the balloons were so heavy, she walked with her arm in the air the rest of the way to the car.
Well, that's a wrap, although it looks as though I only took pictures of Molly. Stocky came with us everywhere and was such a trooper all summer, missing naps and eating on the run.

Goodbye summer! We look forward to some fall, and even some winter, but will be happy when you come back again...

3 comments:

Erin M said...

I love the picture of Molly she looks so happy. What a fun thing for a her. Looks like a great wrap up to a great summer. I love your camping pictures. The last one is so funny!!!

Megan said...

That last picture is awesome :) And taking the kids to your soccer game sans husband - you are super mom for sure! Thanks again for coming last week. It was so good to see you! Hopefully we can get together a little more often ;)

Hayley Nelson Potter said...

How fun taht she got all the balloons. It stinks when the husbands have to work so much. Not quite as fun with out them!