Monday, December 21, 2009

Christmas Advent, Days 1-11

Day 1: Decorate the tree.Her favorite ornaments are Hello Kitty and the husband and wife bears Justin and I got the year we were married. They are on the bottom branches because she keeps taking them off and putting them back on.

Day 2: Make a Christmas necklace.I found this particular kit at JoAnn's for $1. Molly likes to wear it. She's worn it to church twice.

Day 3: Make a Christmas wreath.We punched holes in a green piece of paper, glued it to a red piece of paper and tied a bow on top. Molly didn't know what a wreath was before this craft, now she points them out every time she sees one. "Look, a Christmas wreath just like the one I made!"

Day 4: Go Christmas shopping.Molly picked out this truck for Stockton. It says Age 2 and up. I guess he'll like it in a couple of years. Justin's excited to get some boyish toys around this place.

Day 5: Go see Christmas lights.We went to the Festival of Lights, a drive-through light display here in Spanish Fork. It was fun and Molly's excitement was contagious. We drove through twice.

Day 6: Watch the Christmas Devotional and have hot chocolate with marshmallows.Molly was excited to see the prophet and danced to the music.

Day 7: Make ornaments.We squirted paint into some clear, glass balls and rolled them around until the paint covered the ball. Molly chose the color combinations. We hung them from our chandelier.

Day 8: Make Rice Krispie treats.We added red and green M & M's to make them festive. We shared them with the ward choir at our house that night. (Yes, I am involved in the choir. No, that is not something I ever imagined I would do. No, I don't sing. Yes, I am the piano player. Yes, they all come to my house at 9:00 every Sunday morning. Molly likes to dance for them while they sing.)

Day 9: Make a gumdrop tree.We used gumdrops, toothpicks, and a styrofoam tree. It goes well with her gingerbread sleigh that we decorated a couple days after Thanksgiving.

Day 10: Get Christmas books from the library.I was bummed that the limit was 3 Christmas books. We got some normal books too.

Day 11: Make Christmas playdough.Her favorite activity thus far. We made peppermint playdough. We used this recipe, added red food coloring, mint extract (note: you need a lot of extract if you want it to smell-I don't think I put enough in ours because it ended up smelling like regular playdough), and glitter. We rolled it out and used Christmas cookie cutters to make shapes. She has played with this playdough a lot.

3 comments:

Yardley Crew said...

What an awesome mom! Can we rent your creativity for next year? My kids would love all your fun ideas!

Megan said...

Can I just send Annabelle to your house to live? I am sure she would have much more fun and be happier there. lol. Mom of the year to you. And I LOVE rice krispy treats with m&ms! One of my faves. Could you send any left over my way, I am craving that now, thanks! ;)

Troy and Mandy said...

That looks like so much fun...Molly looks like she had a blast! I can't wait to have kids so I can start doing fun Christmas activities! You really are a great mom :) Have a very Merry Christmas!