Tuesday, January 29, 2008

"We Thank Thee Oh God For a Prophet"

On Sunday during church, I was showing Molly a picture of President Hinckley and telling her that he was the prophet. Then later that night, I learned that he had passed away. I felt sort of shocked just because he has always been so constant, and I guess it seemed like he was invincible. Since then, I've been thinking back on my memories of him and the influence his example and service has had on my life. I had just barely turned 12 when he was ordained as the prophet so he is really the only prophet that I have memories of. The handful of times that I got to be physically present when he spoke were great experiences. I love this quote by him: "I would like to suggest that we stop seeking out the storms of life and enjoy the sunlight. I am suggesting that we accentuate the positive. I am asking that we look a little deeper for the good, that we still our voices of insult and sarcasm, that we more generously compliment virtue and hard effort. There is good all around us--if we will only look for it." I think that he did a great job "accentuating the positive." The life that he lived was one of service to the Lord. In fact, I came across this in an interview with his wife: She says that she knew from the beginning that she would never be No.1 in Gordon Hinckley's life--God held that position--but she took comfort in that.
Anyways, my words are inadequate but I felt like I wanted to say something. I am grateful for a living prophet and I love President Hinckley!

1 comment:

Rachelle said...

Thanks Megan,
He is definitely the prophet that has been with me as my testimony has grown. Like you, I will always remember him for his optimism.