Monday, October 27, 2008

Nature walk, Flu shots, and Molly's new "crush"

I love the fall weather and it has been so nice lately. Last week I was itching to get out so as soon as Molly woke up from her nap we headed outside for a walk. Molly didn't seem interested in her stroller, so instead I pushed her 4 ponies in the stroller and she walked. We kept an eye out for rocks, leaves, pinecones, etc. and made sure we put them in Molly's bag to show to Daddy later. It was a beautiful, clear day. This is the view from the front of the culdesac (I have know idea how to spell that word) that we live in:We really do have a pretty view, with lots of trees and Utah Lake in the background. This picture doesn't show it off very well.

Of course, the Goldfish had to tag along. Molly dropped them just after we started down the hill. She then thought she had to pick up every single one.I soon distracted her by telling her to go look for rocks or something similar.

Stopping to smell the flowers.I did not pose this picture. She just automatically picked up the flower, put it to her nose, and said, "Mmm, smells good!"

Here are all the things that she collected.Being outside made both of us happy the rest of the day! (Not that either of us were grumpy earlier, there's just something about being outside on a nice day that makes everyone happy!)
*****
Last week, being the diligent mother that I am (haha), I took Molly in for her flu shot. She handled it like any other kid handles shots-she cried but then forgot about it. (Well she didn't really forget about it, but she got over it pretty quick.) I think her flu shot had the opposite effect it should have...poor girl, she was so sick the next day! She couldn't even keep water down! She has never, ever been that sick. I felt so bad for her. My dad says it was just a fluke and that next time she gets a flu shot (if I dare!) most likely it will have no effect on her. Has anyone else had this happen?
*****
Lastly, Molly has a new crush. His name is Brian and he is her nursery leader. The bishopbric in our ward was inspired (literally) to call a newly-wed couple to be nursery workers just a couple of weeks ago. Before them, Molly's track record for staying in nursery the entire time was very bad-she almost never stayed the entire time and since I'm in primary Justin had to take care of her. This meant at least an hour every week sitting in the nursery with all the other nursery leaders (all of whom were women) or dragging Molly to Sunday School and Elder's Quorum where she wasn't very quiet. A couple of times I took her with me to Primary but she ended up being too much of a distraction for my 5-and 6-year-olds, who already have a hard time concentrating!

So a couple of weeks ago was one of those days that Justin and I met in the hall after church and neither of us had Molly. We did the whole "You don't have Molly?" "Nope. You don't have her?" "Nope." And then we run to nursery to see her happily playing. We were pretty surprised, considering this had not happened in months. We thought that maybe it was the new couple they called to nursery. Last week she was horrible and didn't last an hour. The new couple wasn't there.

Here is how it played out yesterday: as soon as sacrament was over, Molly started clinging to Justin. (Anytime she doesn't want to do anything like go to nursery or go to bed, she says "I just wanna give you a hug." Who can resist that?) When Justin took her into the nursery, she immediately started crying and telling Justin to stay and play with her. Then she saw him, Brian, the new nursery leader, and she was as happy as a lark. She played the whole two hours and when Justin peeked in on her she was just following him around. On the way home from church she said, "I love Brian." Well, we do too just for the fact that Molly will stay in nursery if he's there!

6 comments:

Megan said...

I am sorry about Molly being sick - definitely NO fun! I have heard that happening to kids sometimes, but it hasn't happened to us, so I have no advice. Sorry. You did; hoewever, remind me to call her doctor and ask about flu shots :)

That whole story about nursery and her 'loving' Brian is hilarious. So cute. Whatever works right? I am sure it was a weird feeling for you guys to both enjoy your classes without worrying about Molly!

Karla said...

Last year Jane and I got our flu shots and we both got a BAD case of the flu; however, it was a month after we got the shot not the next day. I am debating on whether to get one this year or not. Jane goes for her 2 year old appt. next week so I guess I will see if the doctor can talk me into it. Sick kids make a mommy feel so sad (not to mention very nervous about them).

Looks like you guys are having good times. I really like that Molly calls you Meggio--I think that is cute.

The Nelson Family Smorgasbord said...

Hey Megan...yes, Charly GOT the flu immediately after her flu shot. What happens, is that they actually inject you with the flu virus which counteracts with your antibodies to help fight it off so that little weak baby immune systems are built up to attack a more serious flu that could actually be debilitating or even life threatening. So really, my doctor said it is a good sign (though a crummy one) when they get the flu after a shot because it means they are building up those baby antibodies!

The Nelson Family Smorgasbord said...

PS- Just like your dad said, her body and her antibodies should be strong enough the next time that she shouldn't get it. In the mean time, it just plain stinks to see them so sick!

rupee40 said...

That is so great that Molly loves nursery now! Jeff was a hit with all the little ones when we were in there too, there is just something about a fun guy that will play with them, I think.
That scarecrow festival looks like so much fun! We'll have to hit that up some year...
I hope Molly is feeling better. I have to get Gavin's flu shot soon, hopefully he doesn't have the same reaction! Poor girl!

Missy said...

oh Molly you are too cute, that's scary for mom and dad if she already is crushing on someone, you guys are in for it now. I just took Brax in for his 9 month check up today and they gave him a flu shot so I hope that he dont get sick like Molly that is too sad, he like her has never been sick so I hope he does okay. Molly sure is a cutie.