Thursday, April 10, 2008

My Handyman Husband

I just wanted a chance to brag about my husband. He is so creative-I don't mean in a cutesy, crafty way, but creative in solving practical problems. Anytime something around the house needs fixing or something, leave it to him and he'll come up with a solution for sure! And a lot of times his solutions blow my mind-they are not something I would ever think of in a million years. For example, last week the car ran out of gas (not my fault). Anyways, we got the gas can filled up but the nozzle wasn't long enough. Justin comes inside and he knew exactly what he was looking for. He ended up using the cover of a hardback book as a funnel. Pretty ingenious, right?He does things like this all the time!

While I'm on the subject of bragging about Justin, I thought I'd post some pictures of the things he has built. Our apartment is not huge, but Justin has built something in every single room. He has become quite talented at it.


First of all, my piano. This piano sat in someone's basement for 50 years. When they were moving, they decided they didn't want to move the piano-so we got it! It was really beat up and didn't even have any wood on the front at all. You could also tell that it had been painted over and over the original stain. So Justin and his friend (thanks Steve!) sanded it down, made a wood piece to cover the front and then stained it. They also built the bench from scratch since it didn't come with one! It is the most sturdy piano bench I have ever sat on! The front has gotten a little beat up from a couple of moves but once we're more permanent, he'll fix it.Next, our bedroom. First of all, he finished the dresser. This is the same dresser he had in his room growing up. It was really banged up and had water marks all over it and no handles. So he sanded it down and re-stained it and found new handles. It looks like new! No one would ever guess that he's had it for a long time! After he finished the dresser, he made the bed frame to match. This was a huge project but I love it! I think he did a great job! (This picture doesn't do it justice because you can't see it all). He even made it so it comes apart which makes it really easy to move.And last, Molly's room. Justin made this super cute bookshelf. It's such a perfect size because it will fit pretty much anywhere. We also found these baskets and then Justin built the dresser to fit them. Everyone who sees it thinks we got it at Pottery Barn! I am always a little wary when he gets a new idea for a project because I'm not sure how it will turn out. But he always has a "vision" of what he wants it to look like and it always turns out great. He's also made me many frames that I love!

2 comments:

Rachelle said...

I know I know. I'm so jealous.

Erin M said...

I am so jealous too. You are so lucky. Bryce is trying, but he has a lot of work to catch up with Justin.