Monday, February 25, 2008

Some thoughts

Since this is acting somewhat as my journal, you all have to bear with me as I write some thoughts that have been going through my head the last few days. We are now part of the Mt. Timpanogas temple district and we were finally able to make it last weekend. I can never put my thoughts into words that great so I'll just say that I am so grateful to have a temple so close. I know I take it for granted way too much. I was really excited to go last week, more excited than usual, and once I was there I knew why. I just felt so at peace, and not that I have too many things to worry about, but I felt again that I am Heavenly Father's daughter and that He loves me and that all things will work out in time. Justin and I spent some time after talking about things and it was really special.

I've also been thinking about a talk I read last weekend, called "Mothers Who Know" by Julie Beck. She gave it last conference but I didn't really remember it. It was the subject of our Relief Society lesson so I decided to read it before (and I'm really glad I did since I was in nursery during Relief Society). I love the message she gave and I recommend to everyone that they pull out their Ensign and read it again! She talks about the eternal influence of motherhood and what I really got out of it is that it is so important as mothers to create an environment for spiritual growth in our homes. And it made me think, am I doing that and how can I do it better? I want to but sometimes I get caught up in all the other things that seem to crowd into my life of lesser importance that I lose sight of that goal. I love this quote "Nurturing mothers are knowledgeable, but all the education women attain will avail them nothing if they do not have the skill to make a home that creates a climate for spiritual growth." She also says that "the value women place on motherhood in this life and the attributes of motherhood they attain here will rise with them in the Resurrection."

Sorry for blabbing but I wanted to share some of my thoughts. I also want to thank my mom and Justin's mom. I have two great examples of how to create a spiritual environment and I feel so blessed.

1 comment:

Rachelle said...

Megan,
Thanks so much for writing those personal thoughts. I love hearing others thoughts about the gospel. I'm especially grateful for your words about Julie Beck's talk. Camille and I were talking about it just this weekend. The value that the world places on mothers and motherhood is getting smaller and smaller. Yet... in an eternal sense.. it is truly the greatest work.