Thursday, May 1, 2008

One Long Post for One Special Lady

On April 19th, my Grandma Lue passed away. She was such a fun grandma and I wanted to share some of the memories I have of her.
1. I especially looked forward to my birthday "dates" with Grandma. Each year around my birthday, Grandma would take me to lunch and then we'd go to the mall and pick out my birthday present. We always went to the Tiffin Room at ZCMI (until the Ogden Mall was torn down). Then we'd go shopping-Grandma always wanted to hold my hand and she would introduce me to everyone she met, whether she already knew them or not! Then we would always get a treat to take home to my siblings.
2. When we were little, Grandma took us to the duck pond at Weber State quite often so we could feed the ducks.
3. Also when we were little, Grandma would come and babysit us quite often. Whenever she came we'd always make her play Nintendo. I think we did this just so we could laugh at her because she always fell down the first hole! But she was such a good sport about it- I think she kept trying because it made us so happy. Also, we always had to wait 30 minutes after lunch before we could go swimming. And, of course, we always watched her favorite show, "Golden Girls," even though my mom told her repeatedly that we couldn't watch it!
4. Grandma did water aerobics at Gold's Gym three times a week up until December. She always wanted us to come to her class with her-unfortunately I never did. I remember one Sunday at dinner she told us that she had tried "land aerobics!" We laughed so hard, much to her confusion!
5. Grandma was always excited to give us our Christmas presents. A few of the years, I remember her saying that we would be so stylish because she got us things that she saw Katie Couric wearing!
6. One day Grandma was holding Molly who had started to fuss a little. I noticed Grandma getting a little frustrated because Molly wouldn't take her binky. Upon closer inspection I noticed Grandma kept trying to put it in upside down! No wonder Molly kept spitting it out!
7. When Grandma couldn't drive anymore, we were the lucky ones to inherit her purple (and I mean purple) Nissan Sentra. She was so proud of this car! She asked us how it was everytime we saw her. She always told us that when we wanted to sell it, we could just park it at Weber State with a For Sale sign on it because all the students would love to have a car the same color of the school they go to! Everytime I drive it, I think about Grandma.
8. Mostly what I want to remember about Grandma Lue is her love, support, and pride in her family. I don't remember any recital or dance review that she ever missed! She was probably our #1 Fan (besides our parents, of course). All of her friends knew everything we were involved in because she bragged about us so much! I always knew that Grandma loved me and that she was proud of me. Thanks Grandma!I feel extremely grateful for all the memories I have of my Grandma Lue. I will miss her so much. We love you Grandma!

3 comments:

Rachelle said...

I remember meeting your Grandma. What a sweet lady and so wonderful that you have so many beautiful memories of her. Not every kid gets to know grandparents that well anymore. I'm sorry for your loss.

Rachelle said...

Rhubarb comes in long sticks...kind of like celery only it is red. I don't really know if it is a fruit or a vegetable. It's sour. I just learned this stuff from the person who told me how to make it.

lynn moyes said...

Meg,
Thanks for your wonderful tribute. It was beautiful. I'm so glad for all the happy memories that we have.
Love, Mom