Thursday, July 3, 2008

Zoo adventures

Most people think that seeing giraffes and elephants and rhino's are pretty adventurous but our adventure was actually getting there! Here's the story...

My mom had been wanting to go to the zoo for a while and we really wanted to squeeze it in before it got too hot. So we finally settled on a day that worked for everyone. The night before I said to Justin teasingly "So you won't need the car tomorrow for any trainings or anything?" (He has trainings all the time but I hadn't heard him mention any so that's why I say I was teasing.) Well, just my luck he says that he does have a training-at 2:00 in Sandy. So I'm thinking "How am I going to get Justin to work in Orem at 8:30, me and Molly to the zoo at 10:00 and Justin to Sandy by 2:00?" Pretty impossible, right? That's what I thought. But then I remembered that there is this great system called TRAX that goes right into Downtown Salt Lake. So Justin switched his training and went at 9:00 instead of 2:00. (This is actually funny because he got all the way to Sandy and there really wasn't a training at 9-it was at 2 and it was in Kearns!) So he dropped me and Molly off at the TRAX station and left us there! I was a little nervous because I'd never done TRAX all by myself. But we made it to Salt Lake okay. Molly thought the train was pretty fun...So we got to Salt Lake and had about 45 minutes until we had to catch the bus that goes up to the zoo. So to kill a little time we headed over to Temple Square.Then it was time to catch our bus. I was extremely nervous about this-I have never used Public Transportation and the maps are always so confusing to me. But we were okay-we found the right bus and it dropped us off right in front of the zoo. Yay, we made it!!! We were even a little bit early.

My mom, Erin, Chloe, Erin, Ben, and Abby met us at the zoo and we had a fun afternoon looking at monkeys, elephants, giraffes, zebras, gorillas, and everything else there is to see at the zoo. It was a great day to be at the zoo. Molly thought the elephants were scary but she loved the giraffesand riding on the carousel.But I think her favorite part was seeing Grandma Moyes and being able to walk around holding her hand. I don't think Grandma minded...So now for our trip home. (You probably thought we had had enough adventure for one day, right? Well, there's a little more in store for us-read on.) The bus going up to the zoo only goes up there once a day so I had to walk a couple of miles to the next-closest bus stop. Molly took a short nap in the stroller on the way there. Then after waiting about 15 minuteswe got on our bus that was supposed to take us back into Salt Lake so we could get back on TRAX and head home. Well, I'm not sure what happened this time but I either boarded the wrong bus or missed my stop! I started getting a little concerned because the bus was not heading back into SL but south towards the Murray area. I tried to stay calm but finally when we were at the last stop and we were the only ones still on the bus the bus driver says in a kind voice, "Where are you trying to get to?" Anyway, to shorten the story, he directs me to a bus stop that will take me to a TRAX station and we ended up safely in Sandy. Then a thanks to my mother-in-law for picking us up and taking us to her house and feeding us dinner! We were all pretty tuckered out by the end of the day. I felt like doing this on the ride home:Wow, what a long day. It was a great time though. We had so much fun-thanks Mom!!! I have definitely learned a couple of things:
1- Brett, I'm not sure you even read this, but I really had no idea how much work it takes to ride the bus everywhere. I'm not sure how you do it!
2- The people you think will help you out DON'T and those that you'd least expect it from DO! Thanks to all those smelly (no-offense, but some smelt like cigarettes), sometimes unkempt kind people who helped me with our stroller and finding the right bus!
3- Everyone should have at least one experience like this because you really come to appreciate being able to drive a car wherever and whenever!

1 comment:

Megan said...

What an experience! At least your kid didn't barf on the way there ;) and you got a free home cooked meal out of the whole ordeal. I too am scared to ride the bus. I only did it a few times in Logan...but I can tell you one thing, now that we are running on one car I wish we had that free public transportation system here!