Saturday, March 22, 2008

Bulgogi anyone?

The youth in our ward had a fun "missionary night" on Wednesday night. Members of the ward volunteered to have a companionship over to their houses where they would eat a meal (preferably a meal they ate on their missions), talk about their missions and listen to a discussion the "missionaries" had prepared. So we had Elders Haddock and Mangum over to our house (really they were only 14). Justin made yummy Korean food, bulgogi, and taught them the proper way to eat it. This is Justin making the food. It takes a while so he spread a blanket out on the carpet so he could watch ESPN at the same time! The boys were good sports-Justin made them sit on the floor like they do in Korea which wasn't comfortable for them. He also made them try kimchi which in my opinion is disgusting! After dinner, they gave us a discussion. I was impressed-they did pretty good for only being 14! And then we had root-beer floats and Justin showed them some mission pictures and they asked questions about his mission. They wanted to know if he ate dog (yes) and they wanted to hear what the language sounded like. Then Justin taught them a traditional Korean game-I can't remember what it's called but it reminds me of jacks.Molly didn't want to miss out on the fun. She was right in the middle of the game! It was really fun and I think Justin had a good time talking about his mission. (Erin, take note-this would be a fun activity for your youth!)

2 comments:

Rachelle said...

I remember doing that when I was in young women's. I went and taught a discussion. I don't think we had dinner...but it was fun. What a great way to get guys thinking about missions.

Erin M said...

That is so fun I love that idea. I will have to recommend it. How is your primary calling? We missed you today hope Molly gets feeling better and we will see you this week.