Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Priorities

Each day is pretty much the same for me: take care of Molly, make sure the house is clean, make dinner and the other things that wives and moms do. But I have been thinking lately that all of these "normal" days are what actually make up my life. There are many times that at the end of the day I can look back on the day and say, "Did I do anything important?" I know I'm doing important things, like staying home with Molly but am I really teaching her what's most important to me? Am I spending my days at home wisely or am I doing things that aren't productive and aren't making me a better person or better disciple? Then today I was reading in the New Era and came across a few quotes..."Too many goods leaves no room for best" and this one from Elder Ballard: "Our main goal should be to seek 'immortality and eternal life.' With this as our goal, why not eliminate from our lives the things that clamor for and consume our thoughts, feelings, and energies without contributing to our reaching that goal?" So then I started thinking about my goals and dreams. I obviously want my children and family to be happy and I know the only way that is going to happen is through gospel. So then I dug even further and asked myself "What things am I teaching Molly about Jesus and Heavenly Father?" I think that she is too young and won't understand but I am wrong-she knows them better than I do, probably! So I guess I'm just realizing that all of these days that I am just home, not accomplishing much, add up and make up my life and I better be treating my spare time a little better and start filling it with things that will help me and my family reach our main goal: eternal life. I know I fill it with too many things that are inconsequential. So I am now making a new goal to fill my "normal" days with the best things and get rid of things that aren't really important. Any great ideas of how to do this?

2 comments:

Rachelle said...

That was a thought provoking post. I really loved that quote by Elder Ballard. I don't know the answer, but I think it is a constant stuggle for many of us. It's hard with kids to know what they do and do not understand, but they certainly benefit from having a spiritual environment. Elder Cook said in the last conference that we could raise our families in righteousness if we would:
1. Follow the prophet.
2. Create the true spirit of the gospel in our hearts and homes.
3. Be a light to those among whom we live.
4. Focus on the ordinances and principles taught in the temple.


#2 is the one I was thinking about. Creating a spiritual environment is essential...so that is a good way to think of normal days.... not just normal...but an opportunity to feel the spirit...which I imagine you provide everyday just because you are that type of person.
Sorry that was way too long.

Erin M said...

Such a great thought. It is so easy to get caught up in the day to day of being a mom. Sometimes I wonder too if I am doing all I can in a day. I hear people talk about the time their parents spend with them playing and teaching and I think, boy all I do is chase, clean, follow, beg, and sit. It is hard to focus everyday on what our kids are learning from us. But I love your thoughts. Thanks for posting this. It is important to realize what we are teaching our kids in a normal day. Thanks Meg!!