Friday, March 7, 2008

A few things...

So I know that everyone probably thinks that I have nothing better to do since I post new things all the time. But it's a good way to keep track of all the new and fun things Molly is doing. So here's a couple more!

First of all, Molly is finally old enough to go to nursery! Yeah!!! Her name is officially on the nursery role. So last week was the first time that we took her there and actually left her. We were sitting in Sunday School just waiting for the nursery leaders to bring her to us-we both kept watching the doors and were pleasantly surprised that 20 minutes had passed with no Molly. But then we got too comfortable because sure enough, here comes the nursery leader will a bawling Molly. She actually did really well when we first dropped her off. She was playing just fine until snack-time. Our nursery has a little room off to the side that they go eat snacks in and when they switched rooms, Molly figured out that her mommy and daddy were not there and that's when she freaked out. Oh well, we'll try again this week!

Second, Molly has started learning letters. She can recognize A,B,I,M and O. Then the other day in the tub she was playing with her foam letters-she picked up a Y and looks at me and says, "Y!" I have not taught her this and neither has Justin so I figured that it was just a lucky guess. So later that day we were coloring and I was writing letters so I thought I'd see if it really was a lucky guess or not. So I wrote a Y and asked Molly what letter that was and she says, "Y!" I was pretty surprised. I did not teach it to her so I'm not sure where she picked it up. I've thought of two places that she could have gotten it: from a book about the ABC's that we read or from "Word World" a TV show on PBS that teaches letters. Again, I am amazed at how much kids observe and take in that we don't even realize. I underestimate Molly all the time. She really is watching me and taking in all that I do-kind of scary!

Last, this is not about Molly but me. I just got called to team-teach the 6/7 year old Primary class. I'm a little scared first because I have never taught Primary and second because the bishopbric and the primary counselor have all told me it's a really hard class. My first time teaching will be this Sunday-does anyone have any good teaching techniques for kids ages 6 & 7? Send them my way because I need help!

3 comments:

Erin M said...

Your new posts had me laughing so hard. Molly is getting so big. They learn very quickly don't they. I have a feeling Molly will just be a very smart girl. Thats amazing she is doing so well on her letters. But I have to say - I have never seen a messier eater!! Molly eating spaghetti is hilarious. Good luck with your new primary class. The best advice I have is to keep the class moving - I mean to have little attention getters in the middle of talking. We had a teacher who used a bean bag to ask questions (which for some classes doesn't work if their really naughty). But anything from a picture to a song or game will keep their attention, and try not to read. Of course Bryce's advice is physical punishment (either they get better or you get released) Yep that's a man's opinion. Good Luck!!! You will be a great teacher!!!

Rachelle said...

That is fun hearing about all that Molly is learning. She is certainly a smart little thing. I worked in the primary in my previous ward and substituted for the 6/7 year olds several times. I can't think of any specific tips, but I do remember that there were lots of good ideas at lds.org - like attention grabbers or just general info about what different age groups can and cannot understand or be expected to sit still for. I'm sure you'll do great.

Rachelle said...

Oh yeah.... I do have one suggestion. You should go to their home to meet them before you teach - or on an occasion like birthdays. Just take them something simple...like a pencil. It helps them to feel special... and they are much more likely to listen to you when they know you care about them.