Sunday, August 31, 2008

Utah County Fair

I've always loved going to the County Fair. When I was 8, I started showing lambs at The Weber County Fair (or, as Camille called it, The Plain City Fair). This was a big deal. We usually started getting our lambs ready as soon as we were out of school for the summer. In order to get the lambs tame, once a day we would get them on a leash and walk them all around Plain City. We got many curious stares from people driving by. Imagine what you would say if you saw 4 kids walking around with lambs on the leash instead of a dog! It was always sort of embarrassing but something we always had to do. All summer we would walk them, wash them, shear them, and take care of them. We would even have a mock competition-Mom was always the judge. It sounds like a lot of work, which it was, but I think Dad did most of the hard work. Thanks, Dad! The fair was always held in August and we would hang out in the animal barns playing cards all day. We always had lots of fun that week! We would show our lambs and sell them at the auction and earn a nice little sum of money to be put away for college. Needless to say, from the time I was 8 until I graduated from high school, I spent a lot of time at the fair.

I also worked for the Weber County Fair during the 2 summers before I got married. It was a completely different experience but it was a really fun summer job! Since I got married, I haven't been back to the fair-Justin and I have always had something going on or we haven't wanted to make the hour drive there and back...

So I've missed attending the fairs. I noticed that Utah County was having a fair and that it was FREE admission-even better! So we decided to take Molly-she'd at least like seeing the animals even if the rest of it was dull. Eric and Heidi met us there-we let the kids ride on some rides, ate some scones, saw the animals, and watched the rodeo. We had lots of fun! Here are the highlights:

Merry-go-roundRiding in the boats with TianaThe lambsDriving a couple of tractorsAt the rodeo with Eric, Lucas, and TianaEating a scone, yum!Dancing to the music at the rodeo Definitely not as big as the Weber County Fair, but still fun!

1 comment:

Megan said...

How did I not know that you raised lambs and showed them at the Weber County Fair?! That is pretty cool. I have't been since before Ross and I got married - he loves going to the demolition derby. Anywho, I don't know I didn't go to the Utah County Fair - that looks way fun...especially the scones. Nummy!