Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Tag, Molly's it!

Molly was tagged by her cousin Abby! Here are five things about Molly:

1. Molly is our climber. Ever since she was mobile, she has been finding things to climb on. At first, this scared me so bad because she wasn't extremely steady. Now it's just a normal part of our life and doesn't scare me quite so much although I still make sure I'm close by when it's something new just in case. Here is a video of her newest accomplishment:


2. Molly makes a mess out of everything. Honestly, it can be something as simple as fruit leather. I have her some today at the grocery store and the next time I look at her it's smeared all over her chin, forehead, nose, and shirt! I should be used to it although I do wish sometimes that she could be a little bit more like her cute cousin Chloe who always seems to be neat and clean! Go here and here to see some of Molly's messy eating habits.

3. Molly is incredibly stubborn. I cannot force Molly to do anything she doesn't want to do. I'm sure most kids are like this! Two examples: Molly was spoiled rotten when she was little because I always rocked her to sleep and then put her in her crib. I didn't realize what damage I was doing until it was too late. And the whole "let them cry themselves to sleep" thing really did not work for us! She would cry for hours if we let her (which we never did). She just got progressively more and more worked up until she was crying so hard she was almost throwing up! She was so hard to get to bed and she would only fall asleep for me! It was very frustrating. Well one day about 6 weeks ago, she decided that she was going to put herself to sleep. Really in just a matter of a week we went from me rocking her to sleep (taking anywhere from 1/2 hour to 2 hours) to her lying down fully awake and putting herself to sleep! Needless to say, I have learned my lesson and will do it differently with the next one. The second example: Molly loves to have her milk before bed but would only have it in a bottle. If I tried a cup she would become hysterical. (I was relieved that my doctor gave me the go-ahead with the bottle until she's 2- he said as long as she wasn't falling asleep with it in her mouth there would be no damage to her teeth.) Anyways about a month ago or so she said to me, "Mommy, milk in a cup." I gladly gave it to her in a cup and we've almost made the full switch! So we've decided that we can't force her into anything but she'll decide to do it on her own and we're all happy!

4. Molly loves playing in her room with her mommy. Before her nap we always go to her room to play. She always wants me to get out her tent and then we cuddle up inside and read books. It is fun for her and pretty much melts my heart. That time I spend with her in unstructured playtime is very precious to me and I wouldn't change it for anything! Here is a picture of her playing in the tent:5. Molly loves her binkies. She has been hooked on them since a nurse gave me one in the hospital. Forget blankies or stuffed animals to get her to sleep-all she needs is a couple of binkies. When she was probably 5 or 6 months she started needing at least 2 to fall asleep-one in her mouth and one in her hand. She kind of strokes the part she sucks on with her thumb and it soothes her right to sleep. I am happy to report that we are pretty much off of binkies except for naptime and night-time. She knows the rule and never really asks for them anymore.Hope you learned a few things about Molly. She is the joy of our lives and is such a good little girl!

Molly tags Lizzy and Andrew whenever they get around to it. They are leaving tomorrow to make the trek from Washington D.C. to Sandy. Good luck you guys!

2 comments:

Megan said...

Molly and Anna really sound so much the same...it's crazy. Anna is super stubborn and we when she is ready, she does it by herself too (that was the hard part for me...not taking control). The binky one was no fun at first, but now when she wakes up she hands me her binky and says 'Here Mamma!'

Kids are so dang cute.

Anna is a climber, but in no way is she as skilled at Molly. I can't believe she climbed the crib like that. I am hoping if I never lower the rail Anna won't attempt it...here's to hoping!

Erin M said...

That was so fun. Thanks for doing the tag. Her pictures are so cute.